January 22, 2020
Make your voices heard—vote for February Community Day’s featured Pokémon
Community Day is a key piece of what makes Pokémon GO a unique gaming experience. It’s an event that encourages all Trainers to go out and play together one day a month, and we’ve been endlessly inspired by the impact it’s had on building local communities. To allow Community Day to live up to its name even more, we’re letting Trainers everywhere vote for what the next featured Community Day Pokémon will be.
We hope to take the lessons from this experiment and use them to make Community Day the best it can be, and we thank you for your patience. More info below.
- Voting Timeline
- February 2020 Community Day Pokémon Candidates
- Voting-Day Field Research Tasks
Here is what you can expect in the coming weeks.
- Announcement of the Community Day candidates: On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 (today), we announce the Pokémon in the running to be the featured Community Day Pokémon, what their event-exclusive attacks will be, and the Field Research tasks you will need to complete to vote for your Pokémon of choice.
- Voting day: Voting day will be on Saturday, February 1, 2020, from 12:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. in your local time zone. Votes will be counted via the total number of Field Research tasks completed globally within the allotted time.
- Announcement of the winner: On Monday, February 3, 2020, two days after voting day closes, we will announce which Pokémon will be featured for February Community Day.
- February Community Day: The Community Day featuring the winning Pokémon will take place on Saturday, February 22, 2020. The featured bonus will be 3× Catch Stardust. Per the last update, Community Day for Trainers in the northern hemisphere will run from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. local time, while in the southern hemisphere, it will run from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. local time.
February 2020 Community Day Pokémon Candidates
Your candidates for the next Community Day are Vulpix, Machop, Rhyhorn, and Dratini. Learn about their Community Day attacks and more below.
- Vulpix: Vulpix as originally discovered in the Kanto region will be appearing in the wild and in Eggs. Alolan Vulpix will be appearing in Field Research and Raid Battles. Evolve Vulpix or Alolan Vulpix into Ninetales or Alolan Ninetales for the Charged Attack Weather Ball. Ninetales will learn Fire-type Weather Ball, and Alolan Ninetales will learn Ice-type Weather Ball—attacks previously exclusive to Castform. Shiny Vulpix as originally discovered in the Kanto region will become available for the first time in Pokémon GO.
- Machop: Evolve Machop into Machamp for the exclusive attack Payback. This Dark-type Charged Attack will give Machamp good coverage to deal with Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokémon that might otherwise give it trouble.
- Rhyhorn: Evolve Rhyhorn into Rhyperior for the exclusive attack Rock Wrecker. Known to be Rhyperior’s signature move, this Rock-type Charged Attack will be a powerful addition to Rhyperior’s repertoire. Shiny Rhyhorn will also become available to encounter for the first time in Pokémon GO.
- Dratini: Evolve Dratini into Dragonite for the Charged Attack Superpower. This powerful Fighting-type attack is a recent addition to Pokémon GO and could be a strategic option for Dragonite. For example, it could help Dragonite against Ice- and Rock-type Pokémon that would normally have an advantage over it. Superpower could also help Dragonite deal with Steel-type Pokémon that are weak to Fighting-type attacks.
Voting-Day Field Research Tasks
In order to ensure fairness, all candidates’ Field Research tasks will have the same objective you’ll need to complete in order to cast a vote for the February 2020 Community Day Pokémon. The Field Research objective you’ll need to complete will be...catching 20 Pokémon to earn 200 Stardust.
These are the four Field Research tasks you will see on voting day:
- Vote for Machop Community Day! Catch 20 Pokémon
- Vote for Rhyhorn Community Day! Catch 20 Pokémon
- Vote for Vulpix Community Day! Catch 20 Pokémon
- Vote for Dratini Community Day! Catch 20 Pokémon
The Field Research tasks will be available on voting day, Saturday, February 1, 2020, from 12:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. in your local time zone. Every PokéStop that day will have a voting-related research task. If the PokéStop you spin does not have a task for the Pokémon you want to vote for, please spin a different PokéStop. We will ensure that there is an even distribution of these research tasks among PokéStops, and we’ll account for areas that have fewer PokéStops as well.
One research task completed equates to one vote for the Pokémon listed on the completed task. You may complete more than one voting research task, and they will each count as a vote for whichever Pokémon is listed on each task. Be sure to complete as much research as you can for the Pokémon you want featured for Community Day!
We hope you’re just as excited as we are to have the first-ever community-chosen Community Day Pokémon! You have one week to help campaign for the Pokémon you most want to be chosen—be sure to use #PokemonGOCommunityDay when doing so!
Make your voices heard, Trainers. It’s time for you to choose which Pokémon you want as the next Community Day Pokémon. Let’s GO!
—The Pokémon GO team