Celebrate Lunar New Year with Pokémon GO!
Happy Lunar New Year! The Pokémon GO Lunar New Year event is happening once again, featuring various red Pokémon, some lucky bonuses, and, in celebration of the Year of the Ox, Timed Research featuring Tauros, the Wild Bull Pokémon! Plus, Gyarados will be able to Mega Evolve for the first time in Pokémon GO. Are you red-y? Take a look at the details below.
Date + Time
Tuesday, February 9, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Sunday, February 14, 2021, at 1:00 p.m. local time
- Red Pokémon—like Krabby, Goldeen, Magmar, Magikarp, Miltank, Meditite, Tepig, , and more—will appear more frequently in the wild! If you’re lucky, you might spot a Gyarados in the wild. Will you be lucky enough to encounter the coveted red Shiny Gyarados?
- Event-exclusive Field Research tasks will reward encounters with Meowth, Alolan Meowth, Galarian Meowth, Meditite, and Miltank.
- Pokémon representing animals associated with Lunar New Year will be hatching from 5 km Eggs! Keep an eye out for Rattata, Ekans, Mankey, Ponyta, Mareep, Houndour, Miltank, Torchic, Bagon, Buneary, Tepig, and Litleo.
- The following Pokémon will be appearing in raids.
- Meditite, Carvanha, Duskull, Skorupi, and Darumaka will be appearing in one-star raids.
- Miltank, Octillery, Blaziken, Camerupt, and Absol will be appearing in three-star raids.
- Latios and Latias will be appearing in five-star raids from Tuesday, February 9, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Saturday, February 20, 2021, at 9:00 a.m. local time.
- Mega Pidgeot, Mega Gyarados, and Mega Ampharos will be appearing in Mega Raids from Tuesday, February 9, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Saturday, February 20, 2021, at 9:00 a.m. local time. This will be Mega Gyarados’s debut in Pokémon GO!
- In celebration of the Year of the Ox, Tauros, the Wild Bull Pokémon, will be featured in Timed Research!
- Gifts will contain more Poké Balls, so be sure to send lots of Gifts to your friends.
- You’re more likely to become Lucky Friends with your friends, so be sure to swap Gifts, battle in raids, and trade with them!
- When you trade a Pokémon, it’ll be more likely to become a Lucky Pokémon.
- Trading range will be temporarily increased to 40 km from Monday, February 8, 2021, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, February 15, 2021, at 1:00 p.m. PST(GMT −8).
Wishing you health, wealth, and luck this year! Stay safe, and happy exploring!
Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.
—The Pokémon GO team