Dev Diaries: a mega update to Mega Evolution in Pokémon GO is coming soon!
We’re very excited to announce that an update to Mega Evolution in Pokémon GO is now live in Australia and New Zealand and will be available globally soon.
Mega Evolution is an Evolution that transcends all others. Mega Evolution temporarily changes a Pokémon’s appearance and increases its strength. In Pokémon GO, Trainers use Mega Energy to Mega Evolve their Pokémon.
But with the latest Pokémon GO update, Mega Evolution will now be easier and more rewarding than ever before!
Dev Diaries: Mega Evolution and Mega Raid updates
For April’s Dev Diary, we’re excited to share a look into the changes we’re making to Mega Evolution and Mega Raids in Pokémon GO.
- Most Mega Raids will be easier. You can now take them on with fewer people!
- You’ll be able to Mega Evolve your Pokémon from raid and battle prep screens.
- Pokémon you have Mega Evolved before will now have an additional visual effect added to their information page to commemorate this momentous achievement.
- We’re implementing Mega Levels and changing how Mega Energy is used.
MEGA MASTERY: Introducing Mega Levels
Being a Pokémon Trainer is all about helping your Pokémon grow, and we’re introducing a new way for you to do just that—Mega Levels! Every time you Mega Evolve a Pokémon, you work toward increasing its Mega Level. You’ll get more bonuses every time a Pokémon’s Mega Level goes up, and these bonuses will stay active while your Pokémon is Mega Evolved.
Each Mega Level grants various bonuses. Bonuses vary by Pokémon, and all bonuses will improve as a Pokémon’s Mega Level increases.
- Increased Candy when you catch Pokémon that are the same type as your Mega-Evolved Pokémon.
- While attacking with a Mega-Evolved Pokémon in a Raid Battle or a Gym battle, the attacks of other Trainers’ Pokémon challenging that same raid or Gym will deal more damage. Their Pokémon’s attacks will deal even more damage if the attack is the same type as your Mega-Evolved Pokémon.
- Increased chance of earning Candy XL when you catch Pokémon that are the same type as your Mega-Evolved Pokémon.
- Increased XP for catching Pokémon that are the same type as your Mega-Evolved Pokémon.
- A Pokémon’s rest period decreases as its Mega Level increases.
MORE MEGA MOMENTS: A one-time cost to Mega Evolve
With this update, after you Mega Evolve a Pokémon for the first time, you’ll be able to Mega Evolve that same Pokémon again without using Mega Energy!
- After Mega Evolving, your Pokémon will be fatigued and need time before it can Mega Evolve again. Once this rest period is over, that Pokémon can Mega Evolve again without using Mega Energy.
- You can use Mega Energy to decrease a Pokémon’s rest period. The Mega Energy required to Mega Evolve a Pokémon will decrease as the Pokémon’s rest period becomes shorter.
Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated.
—The Pokémon GO team