How to prepare for Pokémon GO City Spotlight!
City Spotlight will be taking place in select cities on Sunday, November 22, 2020, from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. local time! Read on for what you can look forward to during City Spotlight. Plus, you can check out details on what you can unlock if your city completes the most AR Mapping tasks during the event.
City Spotlight: Know before you GO!
- Purchase your City Spotlight ticket. With a ticket, you can enjoy additional City Spotlight content, including Special Research and certain Pokémon being attracted to Incense! You can read about the differences between the free City Spotlight experience and the ticketed experience later in this blog. If you haven’t yet purchased a ticket, you can pick one up for US$4.99, or the event’s local currency equivalent, inclusive of any applicable taxes and fees. Here’s how you can purchase a ticket.
- Open the Pokémon GO app.
- On the map, tap the Poké Ball icon.
- Tap Events.
- On the following webpage, tap your city’s City Spotlight listing.
- You'll see “Tickets Available!” next to a first-come-first-served City Spotlight event if it hasn’t yet sold out. Tap the listing to select the event you wish to attend, choose how many tickets you’d like to purchase, and input your payment information to complete your purchase. On the payment-confirmation page, please take note of your order ID. You’ll also receive a confirmation email at the address you entered right before payment.
- A few days before the City Spotlight event, you’ll receive a medal. When you open the app during the event, you’ll receive access to the City Spotlight experience, including the Special Research!
- After you’ve obtained the Special Research, you can complete it at any time.
Note: Tickets to this City Spotlight are nonrefundable (subject to applicable law and the exceptions set forth in the Terms of Service). Tickets will also be available to purchase here. Tickets are first come, first served and will be available for purchase while supplies last until Sunday, November 22, 2020, at 2:00 p.m. local time.
Make the most out of your experience by using Incense. Incense activated during City Spotlight will last for two hours and will be even better at attracting featured Pokémon.
Explore featured locations in your city. Each city’s event Timed Research will offer an encounter with different Pokémon for each featured location you take a snapshot at!
Auckland, New Zealand
- Victoria Park
- Albert Park
- Auckland Domain
- Takutai Square
- Commercial Bay
- Wynyard Quarter
Busan, South Korea
- Jagalchi Market
- Yongdusan Park
- Democracy Park
- Jungang Park
- Yurari Plaza
- Busan Station
- National Cheng Kung University Main Library
- Tainan Park
- Tainan Confucius Temple
- Blueprint Culture & Creative Park
- Tainan Sports Park & Municipal Baseball Stadium
- Koxinga Museum & Koxinga Shrine
Get to level 20. If you’re currently below level 20, be sure to get to level 20 prior to the event so you can access AR Mapping tasks. Note that AR Mapping tasks are unavailable for Trainers with child accounts. Learn all about how AR Mapping tasks work here.
AR Mapping task competition between cities. Compete with other City Spotlight cities to upload the most scans throughout the weekend. The AR Mapping tasks can be completed anywhere in participating cities and must be completed during City Spotlight to count. The winning city will earn an exclusive event taking place from Saturday, November 28, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. to Sunday, November 29, 2020, at 6:00 p.m. local time, featuring a 1/4 Hatch Distance bonus. You can check the standings on the leaderboard. Remember, completing AR Mapping tasks is a way to help your city become a premier location for future Pokémon GO experiences.
Update your Pokémon GO app. Ensure that you have the newest version of the Pokémon GO app.
Prepare for a day of Pokémon GO. Get together everything you need for the event day! Remember to charge your device before heading out, and be sure to bring along a portable charger and a refillable water bottle. Dress appropriately for the day’s weather, and wear comfortable shoes, too!
Check guidelines from local health authorities. Play it safe and check local guidelines from health authorities.
Share your experience on social media! Don’t forget to share photos of your experience on social media #PokemonGOCitySpotlight, and we’ll share some of our favorites on our social media channels!
What’s included in the free citywide experience
- The City Spotlight Timed Research will take you and your Buddy Pokémon all around your city.
- Take snapshots to encounter Pokémon and earn a Poffin, Stardust, and a Lucky Egg.
- Spin PokéStops for a chance to receive a special Gift sticker.
- Take part in an AR Mapping task competition against other participating cities! The city with the most AR Mapping tasks completed at the end of the weekend will win an exclusive event featuring a 1/4 Hatch Distance bonus! You can check how your city is faring in the standings on an online leaderboard.
- Receive a special reward when you complete an AR Mapping task.
What’s included in the City Spotlight ticketed experience
- Everything in the free citywide experience.
- The following Pokémon will be attracted to special Incense: Pidgey, Pidgeot, Doduo, Onix, Rhyhorn, Lapras, Unown C, Mantine, Pelipper, Nosepass, and Stoutland. If you’re incredibly lucky, you may even encounter a Shiny Unown C! Shiny Unown C will be available only for the duration of City Spotlight to Trainers who have a City Spotlight ticket.
- Explore the city with your Buddy Pokémon using exclusive City Spotlight Special Research as a guide! Complete the Special Research to receive a Poffin, an Incense, a Super Incubator, three Lucky Eggs, a Lure Module, an encounter with Lapras, XP, and Stardust.
- Earn up to three extra hearts with your buddy in every category.
- Your buddy will know that an exciting adventure is ahead! Give it treats during City Spotlight, and it’ll automatically become excited!
- 1/4 Hatch Distance when an Egg is placed in an Incubator during the event.
- Incense will be more effective while you’re walking and will last for two hours.
If you have any questions regarding City Spotlight, please visit the City Spotlight page for more information.
Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. The upcoming City Spotlight is subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.
—The Pokémon GO team